Creamy Turmeric Butternut Squash Soup
It may taste super creamy, but this bright, delicious soup is actually dairy-free! A perfect recipe for when you’re craving something warm and seasonal.
8 ingredients + salt & pepper
1 hour & 15 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 1/2 cups Butternut Squash
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil (divided)
- 1 Yellow Onion (chopped)
- 2 Garlic (clove, minced)
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups Organic Vegetable Broth (plus more if needed)
- 1 cup Water (plus more if needed)
- 1/2 cup Organic Coconut Milk (full-fat, from the can)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF (204ºC) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the butternut squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Rub the inside and coat the edges with 1/3 of the oil. Place cut side down on the prepared baking sheet and roast for about 40 minutes or until the squash is easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Scoop the flesh of the pumpkin away from the skin, measure out the amount needed in cups, and set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes until just softened. Add the garlic, turmeric, Pink Himalayan salt, black pepper, and cinnamon. Stir to combine and cook for another minute more. Add the vegetable broth and water and then stir in the roasted squash.
- Bring the soup to a gentle boil and then let simmer for 5 to 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come together. Stir in the coconut milk.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Add more vegetable broth or water o the blender until the desired consistency is reached. Season with additional salt or pepper (or turmeric!) if needed.
- Divide soup between bowls and enjoy!
- Leftovers? Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: One serving is approximately 1 1/4 cups of soup.
- Like it on the sweeter side? Add maple syrup or honey.
- Additional Toppings? Use some fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro.